Here is an Americanized version of an old tale, set in the days of the California Gold Rush. Darby, a dreamer of a hound dog, and Molly, a mountain-grown burro, escape their gold prospector master who mistreats them. Setting off for Sacramento, where the streets are paved with gold and the good life abounds, they are joined along the way by a fiery Spanish cat and a dandified Southern rooster. When the foursome find an abandoned cabin, they discover it is used by the gold diggers turned gold robbers. They pool their combined wills and talents to claim the cabin as a home of their own and discover "you can be the town musicians anywhere you are."
NotesThis title is in manuscript format. Upon licensing, a permission to photocopy form will be issued.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code ST3000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $39.95
- Approx. Run Time 85 min
- "Your plays are regularly mentioned/discussed in my graduate Children's Dramatic Literature Classes."
- Review by Coleman Jennings, University of Texas
- "Delightful humor and philosophy, excellent characterizations, catchy songs, a plot that holds all ages … the run had to be extended well beyond the original six weeks."
- Review by Elissa Sharee, Sacramento Civic Theater
- "Delightful material for the family. Each character well-defined, and the music—so simple, so wonderful!"
- Review by Jeanne Hopson, producer, The LaCrosse Playhouse, Wisc.
Media Reviews"Sacramento Fifty Miles, a fantastic combo hits the road!" -The Sacramento Bee
"A sparkling musical for young people, Sacramento Fifty Miles, based on the Brementown Musicians, retells this tale in a genuine and charming spirit." -The Nebraska Theatre Caravan
"The Goodman School Children's Theatre production of Sacramento Fifty Miles offers some thought-provoking songs about kindness to animals, and a jazzy cockadoodle-doo from Beauregard as well." -The Chicago Tribune