A beautiful and melodic score has been added to James W. Rodgers' faithful and popular adaptation. Capturing both the spirit and the period of the original, the musical selections offer a wide variety of delightful and heartwarming melodies that can be easily managed by quality actors with natural but untrained voices. The songs have been carefully woven into the fabric of the book not only to set mood and atmosphere but to heighten action, delineate characters and establish underlying themes. Like the play version (also available in the catalog), the musical is easily accessible to community and school groups. Staging has been kept to a minimum, requiring only a simple unit setting with limited props, costumes and lighting effects. All the great characters are here: George ("Something Important"), Mary ("Quiet Wishes: Simple Dreams"), Clarence ("I Want to Fly"), Violet ("I Love to Dance"), Uncle Billy and Aunt Tilly ("Whoops! Another Year's Gone By") and Potter ("Easy Living"); 22 songs in all. Solos, duets, ensembles and full chorus numbers all have pleasing and catchy melodies within comfortable vocal ranges.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code I02000
- Cast Size 22
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 155 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults | Praise Groups
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group | Praise Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871299635
- "This was a wonderful musical for our church fund raiser! The addition of the delightful music - so perfect in every way - made this well-known story an even bigger treat. The production involves a lot of people which is always what we want to do in our shows."
- Review by Celoris Miller, St. Mary's Road United Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- "A heartwarming success which provided a message of hope for the holiday season and also was appropriate for these difficult times; teaching youth how valuable it is that our lives are hinged upon one another."
- Review by Joann Russoniello, Playhouse at East Hanover, West Orange, N.J.
- "We loved the music. Play included opportunity to use a lot of people in cast. Nice story."
- Review by Virginia Collins, Websterville Baptist Christian, Websterville, Vt.
- "We were delighted with this script! It captured the charm and story of the "movie" but it gave us plenty of freedom to create our own interpretation. The music was very charming and it moved the story along in a beautiful way. It also allowed us to use a full cast of ensemble members."
- Review by Susannah Kist, Wood Street Theater Company, Palatine, Ill.
- "The musical version of this inspirational story added a significant amount of emotional impact to an already wonderful seasonal favorite. The songs are simple yet beautiful and moving. It was a fantastic addition to our seasonal shows!"
- Review by Craig Strutt, Opera House Players, McGregor, Iowa
- "We did four performances over two weekends and had an excellent audience response! Audiences were 90% full. They loved the show. Mr. Potter's songs were a hit. I Love to Dance was a show-stopper. Best-loved character, besides Potter and George, was Clarence."
- Review by Wendy Mahoney, Grace Evangelical Free Church, Mason City, Iowa