This Harlequinade version of Pinocchio is one of his theatre's most successful productions. Simons uses the original Italian commedia names, such as Arlecchino, who later became the French Harlequin. The name "Pinocchio" may be spoken with its Italian pronunciation as pee-no-kee-o. In true commedia fashion, this wild and uninhibited play begins with a troupe of strolling players exploding into the theatre with their noisy props and crude scenery. Arlecchino plays a Cricket; Pantalone plays Geppetto; Razullo, a fox; Beltrama, a cat; Pulcinella, the wicked puppet master; Pedrolina, a donkey and a fool; Columbina, a spirit and Pinocchio plays himself. The commedia flavor gives the story vigor and makes it entertainment for adults as well as children without losing the charm and significant message of Collodi's famous story.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code PJ2000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780886803865
- "Our company loves this script. Over the past ten years, we have performed it about 40 times. The dialogue is almost Shakespearean, such as "All tongues be fast frozen; our play it is begun." It is at least three levels higher than common speech but still able to be understood by children."
- Review by Dee Mulford, Schenectady Theatre for Children, Scotia, N.Y.