This show begins dramatically when Peter crawls out onto a ledge prepared to jump. There he meets J.M., a professional suicide counselor who will make sure that Peter goes out in style. J.M. guides Peter through all the problems of a successful suicide—how to obtain a crowd, how to hold the audience, how to build tension, how to obtain television coverage and, finally, when and how to jump. Then a rival suicide counselor appears. P.J. reveals that J.M. is a bust as a suicide counsel or he's fouled up every suicide attempt he's had. For example, there was the client who wanted to electrocute herself and J.M. managed to burn down her whole house—but the old lady came out without a scratch. At this point, Peter asserts himself and the play ends with a humorous reversal.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code L15000
- Cast Size 3
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Farce
- ISBN(13) 9780871296368
- "Good character comedy that gives the actors freedom to explore the ridiculousness of the situation"
- Review by Tom Mackey, Merrillville High School, Merillville, Ind.
- "It was a cute comedy that needed strong characters to carry it off. A student directed this play but the actors had so much fun that they ended up taking over!"
- Review by Marilyn Daw, Farmville High School, Farmville, N.C.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Using forced perspective in the scenic design helps sell the illusion of height, even if the ledge is only a couple feet off the ground. Environmental city sounds also help set the scene."
- Tip by Tom Mackey, Merrillville High School, Merillville, Ind.
- "Make sure that you have enough room on your ledge, yet not so much room. One and one-half feet worked well. Our platform was 4 X 8 so we had to change how many but we needed to move ours due to the fire escape. The brick walls we bought from Lowe'sÑit comes in 4 X 8 sheetsÑlike plywood."
- Tip by Marilyn Daw, Farmville High School, Farmville, N.C.
|Hinsdale Central High School||Hinsdale||Illinois||2/20/2020||2/22/2020|