Everyman in the Circus of Life is a contemporary retelling of Everyman that combines the fun and skills of circus performance with the exploration of one of the great dramas of the medieval world. All the characters remain, but they have become figures in a circus: Death is the ringmaster; Worldly Possessions a juggler; Strength a weight lifter, for example. The script includes an extended essay covering the background of medieval theatre from its beginning in the church and its development into miracle plays, mystery cycles and morality plays. It also includes the original Everyman, adapted by Travis Tyre, to make it accessible to the modern reader, as well as rehearsal activities and games.
NotesOn page 40, add the final line (shown in bold):
SECOND BARKER. Are you prepared ...
FIRST BARKER. Are you prepared ...
ALL. Are you prepared ...
RINGMASTER. For your Reckoning!
(Final crack of the whip. Music rises. Blackout.)
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code E56000
- Cast Size 4
- Min. Royalty Rate $45/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 45 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Praise Groups
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Praise Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583428764
- "My students loved perofrming this play! The circus setting provided them with so much inspiration. Thanks for making Everyman truly accessible to younger audiences."
- Review by Roberta Lakavage, Tarkington High School, Cleveland, Texas
- "This was a fun, yet serious show. The kids had a blast with their circus characters,;and the message of the show was awesome, too. The show really made the audience think, and many people told me how inspired they were. The scripts also came with a plethora of acting games that helped the kids delve deeper into their characters' lives. I loved that!"
- Review by Joanna Bair, Caris Performing Arts, Shelton, Conn.