This authorized stage adaptation is true to the novel in which Orwell depicts with great power the horrors of man’s fate in a society where Big Brother is always watching—where everything that is not prohibited is compulsory. As your cast presents the play, you will be participating in a theatrical event that is both powerful and disturbingly provocative. Orwell himself once said, “I do not believe that the kind of society I describe necessarily will arrive, but I believe that something resembling it could arrive. The moral to be drawn from the dangerous nightmare situation is a simple one: Don’t let it happen. It depends on you.”
Our downloadable Logo Pack will make promoting your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code N15000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 95 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871295422
- "Challenging play for advanced high school actors, also provided terrific design opportunities."
- Review by Rod Hearn and Bruce Bryant, Galena High School, Reno, Nev.
- "The play 1984 seemed perfect for this time in America's history. The script was adapted well, retaining all the important elements of Orwell's story."
- Review by Melissa Byers, Hempfield High School, Landisville, Pa.
- "This was truly an unforgettable experience. The show was amazing, as was our set. The audience was blown away by the acting, set and projections!!"
- Review by Laura Anderle-Smith, Nathan Hale High School, Milwaukee, Wis.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Definitely be sure to utilize lights and sound to indicate the passage of time. I also added an ensemble of guards and party members to keep the stage filled at all times. This supported the idea that someone is always watching."
- Tip by Britnee Kenyon, Rolling Meadows High School, Rolling Meadows, Ill.
- "If you use technology to your advantage, this can be a visually wonderful show."
- Tip by Ben Parker, Alvarado I.S.D., Alvarado, Texas
|Gettysburg College Majestic Theatre||Gettysburg||Pennsylvania||6/18/2019||6/22/2019|
|Lindbergh Sr. High||St. Louis||Missouri||10/3/2019||10/5/2019|
|University of Nebraska-Lincoln||Lincoln||Nebraska||6/24/2019||6/29/2019|
|Orion Performing Arts Center||Topsham||Maine||11/22/2019||11/24/2019|
|Morinville Community High School||Morinville||Alberta||5/22/2019||5/22/2019|
|Shawnee Mission Northwest High||Shawnee Mission||Kansas||4/23/2020||4/25/2020|
|Illinois Central College||East Peoria||Illinois||9/20/2019||9/29/2019|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).