The times and the fact that we publish the authorized stage adaptation of this Orwell classic demand some comment, and we quote Orwell himself. "I do not believe that the kind of society I describe necessarily will arrive, but I believe that something resembling it could arrive. The moral to be drawn from the dangerous nightmare situation is a simple one: Don't let it happen. It depends on you." Orwell depicts with great power the horrors of man's fate in a society where Big Brother is always watching—where everything that is not prohibited is compulsory. As your cast presents the play, you will be participating in a theatrical event that is both powerful and disturbingly provocative.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code N15000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 95 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Senior Theatre | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871295422
- "Challenging play for advanced high school actors, also provided terrific design opportunities."
- Review by Rod Hearn and Bruce Bryant, Galena High School, Reno, Nev.
- "The play 1984 seemed perfect for this time in America's history. The script was adapted well, retaining all the important elements of Orwell's story."
- Review by Melissa Byers, Hempfield High School, Landisville, Pa.
- "This was truly an unforgettable experience. The show was amazing, as was our set. The audience was blown away by the acting, set and projections!!"
- Review by Laura Anderle-Smith, Nathan Hale High School, Milwaukee, Wis.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Definitely be sure to utilize lights and sound to indicate the passage of time. I also added an ensemble of guards and party members to keep the stage filled at all times. This supported the idea that someone is always watching."
- Tip by Britnee Kenyon, Rolling Meadows High School, Rolling Meadows, Ill.
- "If you use technology to your advantage, this can be a visually wonderful show."
- Tip by Ben Parker, Alvarado I.S.D., Alvarado, Texas
|Downtown Cabaret Theatre||Bridgeport||Connecticut||2/1/2019||2/17/2019|
|College of DuPage||Glen Ellyn||Illinois||4/4/2019||4/14/2019|
|San Joaquin Delta College - Tillie Lewis Theatre||Stockton||California||4/26/2019||5/5/2019|
|Lake Forest High School||Lake Forest||Illinois||1/31/2019||2/2/2019|
|Rockway Mennonite Collegiate||Kitchener||Ontario||2/28/2019||3/2/2019|
|Sir Wilfrid Laurier Secondary School||London||Ontario||3/6/2019||3/8/2019|
|Alba-golden H S||Alba||Texas||2/26/2019||5/3/2019|
|Gettysburg College Majestic Theatre||Gettysburg||Pennsylvania||6/18/2019||6/22/2019|
|Taft High School||San Antonio||Texas||3/6/2019||4/26/2019|
|Flin Flon Community Hall||Flin Flon||Manitoba||3/8/2019||3/9/2019|
|Buhl High School||Buhl||Idaho||3/14/2019||3/16/2019|
|Lindbergh Sr. High||St. Louis||Missouri||10/3/2019||10/5/2019|
|University of Nebraska-Lincoln||Lincoln||Nebraska||6/24/2019||6/29/2019|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).