Early on a September morning the villagers of Sleepy Hollow await their new schoolmaster. When Ichabod finally arrives, his priggish correctness casts a pall over the gossipy, prank-playing townsfolk. Soon enough, though, his genteel manners and his hymn singing impress the ladies, including Katrina Van Tassel, the town belle. The menfolk are less thrilled, especially Brom Bones, Katrina's beau, and he begins plotting to rid himself of his unwelcome rival. Matters come to a head during the Van Tassel's Halloween party, after which the superstitious Ichabod is accosted on his lonely ride home by a fiendish apparition, the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow. The next morning Ichabod has disappeared, leaving behind only a song in the wind, and a new legend is born.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code LB6000
- Cast Size 15
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 85 min
- Target Audience Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Melodrama
- ISBN(13) 9781583421352
- "This musical was well received and very adaptable to a large cast. The scenic elements could be complicated or simple according to your budget, space, or time demands."
- Review by Cynthia Berg, Canon-McMillan High School, Canonsburg, Pa.
- "Cleverly written and easily adapted to the stage. Very well received by the community! Perfect for the Halloween season and an interesting historical period to dramatize."
- Review by Chris Rees, Chugiak High School, Chugiak, Alaska
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "I used two actors in a horse costume with a supported saddle for our lead and a giant mechanical horse for the Headless Horseman's steed. This added both comedy and suspense."
- Tip by Cynthia Berg, Canon-McMillan High School, Canonsburg, Pa.
- "We used a leafy (forest) scrim in front of all scenes with the Headless Horseman. You can light it various ways so you can use it in other scenes as well."
- Tip by Molly Grasso, Papillion-LaVista High School, Papillion, Neb.