Struggling artist Payne Showers finally gets his Big Break. He dies. Fortunately, Payne's death greatly inflates the value of his work. Unfortunately, his estranged wife, Maggie, must sell it all to avoid bankruptcy. Just days before the auction, Maggie and her high-strung gallery manager, Richard, host a private showing. The guests of honor are influential newspaper maven Judith Fontaine; the fabulously rich real estate mogul Mick Fitzgerald; Trent, a gorgeous but dim-witted soap opera actor; Graciela, a streetwise cocktail waitress; and Emma, a humorless art critic. To Maggie's delight, Mick Fitzgerald buys dozens of paintings. Not only will the deal rescue her financially, but Judith Fontaine is covering the story. The resulting publicity will put Maggie's gallery on the map! At this point, the only thing that could go wrong would be if Payne Showers were to walk through the door. Then Payne Showers walks through the door. Artifice is a farcical take on celebrity and success and an affectionate tribute to loyalty and love.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code AF3000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 100 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Farce
- ISBN(13) 9781583427255
- "Farcical look at celebrity, death and art."
- Review by Veronica Vandenbout, Harlequins Community Theatre, Sandusky, Ohio
Media Reviews"Artifice wastes no time immersing its audience in the world of egotistical artists, conniving dealers and vengeful wealthy patrons. It’s the perfect setting for intrigue … clever … witty … fun." -Bloomington HeraldTimesOnline.com
|Duncanville Community Theatre||Duncanville||Texas||9/5/2019||9/14/2019|