"In Boy Gets Girl, Rebecca Gilman offers up a tale of Gotham singledom you won't be seeing any time soon on Sex and the City. A disturbing chiller about a woman whose life of accomplishment is quickly destroyed by a disturbed admirer, the play works powerfully at its most basic level, as a suspenseful tale about the unraveling of a strong woman's sense of security in the urban jungle. It certainly will touch a tender nerve in everybody who's ever squirmed through a creepy blind date … " (Variety). Theresa Bedell is a successful reporter in New York who loves her work and the life she has made for herself. A relationship with a man would complete the picture and so she agrees to go on a blind date with a friend of a friend. Tony is attractive and funny, but Theresa isn't sure, and after a second date she's convinced they have nothing in common and sees no point in continuing the relationship. Tony, though, thinks otherwise. What at first seems like persistence on his part grows into obsession, and Theresa's annoyance with Tony turns to terror as he begins to threaten her and those around her. Ultimately, Theresa must fight to save herself from being erased by Tony's actions—actions which call into question the assumptions at the very heart of romantic pursuit.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code BA5000
- Cast Size 7
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience College and Adult
- Performing Group College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583420836
- "This play provided my actors with just the challenging roles they needed to continue to grow as actors!"
- Review by Rebecca Ellison, Jefferson College, Hillsboro, MO
- "If you ever want a show that makes your cast and your audience think, this is the show to do! Rebecca Gilman knows exactly what to say and when. A script you can't put down, a show you never get bored with!"
- Review by Robert Silton, Encore Theatre, Libertyville, Ill.
- "This play is absolutely incredible. Gilman has created a flawless social drama. The work was inspiring and audiences left having experienced a powerful message and heard a truly brilliant playwright speak."
- Review by Michelle Shmukler, NYU Tisch School for the Arts, New York, N.Y.
- "Boy Gets Girl is surprisingly funnyÑas well as chilling. It shows the complexity of the situation, rather than a distillation."
- Review by Edward Kahn, Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "I highly recommend producing this show in an intimate setting. Our theatre only seats 75 and the audience felt like they were a part of the story."
- Tip by Kensington Eck, Think PINK Productions, Evansville, Ind.
- "Really play with it. Every character is intense and deep and has such a passionate voice that there is an amazing scope of experience in such a dense work. Really let each character speak."
- Tip by Michelle Shmukler, NYU Tisch School for the Arts, New York, N.Y.
- "Using a revolving stage seems to move the play along beautifully."
- Tip by Tom Quinn, Montgomery Theater, Souderton, Pa.
Media Reviews"Rebecca Gilman is a playwright to hail. Boy Gets Girl is gripping and importantthe finest, most disturbing American play in years." -TIME
"A disturbing chiller … the play works powerfully at its most basic level as a suspenseful tale about the unraveling of a strong woman’s sense of security in the urban jungle." -Variety
"A smart, unsettling play." -The Wall Street Journal
"The play is first-rate." -The New York Times
|Limestone College Theatre||Gaffney||South Carolina||4/23/2020||4/25/2020|
|Cal Poly Pomona Studio Theatre||Pomona||California||9/26/2019||10/6/2019|
|Lincoln Center||Downers Grove||Illinois||5/8/2020||5/17/2020|
|No Strings Theatre Company||Las Cruces||New Mexico||10/18/2019||11/3/2019|
|University of Minnesota-Twin Cities||Minneapolis||Minnesota||11/1/2019||11/3/2019|
|First Presbyterian Church of Matawan||Matawan||New Jersey||10/12/2019||10/12/2019|