The story of The Yellow Boat is a glorious affirmation of a child's life and the strength and courage of all children. This dramatization is based on the true story of David and Sonja Saar's son, Benjamin, who was born with congenital hemophilia and died in 1987 at the age of 8 of AIDS-related complications. A uniquely gifted visual artist, Benjamin's buoyant imagination transformed his physical and emotional pain into a blaze of colors and shapes in his fanciful drawings and paintings. A Scandinavian folksong tells of three little boats: "One was blue, one was red and one was yellow as the sun. They sailed far out to sea. The blue one returned to the harbor. The red one sailed home, too. But the yellow boat sailed up to the sun." Benjamin always concluded his bedtime ritual by saying, "Mom, you can be the red boat or the blue boat, but I am the yellow boat." Benjamin's remarkable voyage continues to touch audiences around the world. Recommended for children age 8 and older, parents, families and adults. Music in book.
NotesAn authorized shortened version for performance in competitions is available. NOW AVAILABLE!
Our downloadable Logo Pack will make promoting your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code Y29000
- Cast Size 7
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 75 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Drama | Tragedy
- ISBN(13) 9780876023525
- "What a beautifully crafted script! It has been an honor to tell this story of a young man (Benjamin) who deserves to be remembered through this touching tale. "
- Review by Mark Daniels, Weber High, Ogden, Utah
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "The script opens itself up to a beautifully creative rehearsal process. One of my favorite experiences as a director. "
- Tip by Mark Daniels, Weber High, Ogden, Utah
|Flint Community Players||Flint||Michigan||9/30/2018||9/30/2018|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).