"The most exciting and provoking event of the theatre season," wrote critic Jack Kroll of Newsweek. Mel Gussow of the New York Times said almost the same thing with, "This is the supreme theatrical event of the season." The play presents you and your actors with an occasion for imagination and magic. The only suggestion of a set is a large oriental carpet and, as the Times critic describes it, "The play itself is a flying carpet, gliding us aloft into a land of mystery, splendor and ritual. A nation of birds is in crisis, and urged on by one of their flock, the Hoopoe, they chart a path to find their king." There are moments of farce and despair as they attempt to cross the seven valleys with their disturbing riddles. Some die, some drop out, while others continue their quest. At last, the survivors come into the presence of the Great One where the secret is discovered—that they, themselves are the embodiment of the divine.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code C55000
- Cast Size 13
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871291066
- "This mythic play offered a chance to discuss "personal spirituality" and a means to employ puppetry, physical theatre techniques and transformation. We like the storytelling and the potential for humorous interludes."
- Review by Pamela Turner, Ben Franklin Academy, Atlanta, GA
- "This is an excellent play and a great challenge for exceptional high school students. They work on movement and ensemble work while exploring symbolism from another culture."
- Review by Rachel Sailer, Salem High School, Salem, Va.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Assign research into Peter Brook and the religious tradition behind the Persian poem."
- Tip by Rachel Sailer, Salem High School, Salem, Va.
- "My younger actors (14, 15, 16) became the birds, and working on scaffolding and Persian rugs in a black-box setting was perfect. Custom bird masks enhanced the experience. Write fairly extensive program notes to help an audience prior to viewing. Study bird sounds and use imagination for props."
- Tip by Maryann Morgan, Radnor High School, Radnor, Pa.