Dramatic Publishing accepts original full-length, one-act and 10-minute plays and musicals of every genre. We will accept and consider unsolicited manuscripts of plays and musicals ONLY if they meet one of the following criteria:
- We already publish one or more properties by the author.
- The author has one or more properties published by another major licensing house.
- The author is represented by a credentialed theatre or literary agent.
- The work has had at least one fully staged equity or amateur production.
Works that do not meet one of the above criteria WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Please Note: As of July 2017, we will no longer consider adaptations of A Christmas Carol, classic fairy tales or Shakespeare.
Due to the large number of scripts we receive, our current response time is 4 to 6 months.
- Unless we have requested additional manuscripts from you, please submit only one or two at a time.
- Scripts should be typed neatly in Microsoft Word or PDF format. Standard playwriting format is preferred but not required. In this format, character headings are centered above the line in capital letters, lines are 1.5 spaced, and stage directions are indented and single-spaced. All pages must be numbered.
- Include a cast list with specific character descriptions, assignment of male/female roles, and total cast/doubling. Please add cast-extension possibilities. Also include the set/technical requirements.
- Include a synopsis of the play, its production history and/or photographs from productions, any relevant reviews, and any playwriting awards it has won.
- If your play is a musical or a play with music, please include excerpts of the music and examples of the sheet music.
- Include your resume.
Electronic submissions are strongly preferred. Please complete the submission form in its entirety and attach all required materials in a single .zip file. If all required information and materials are not included, we will not consider your submission.
If your play or musical is not available in electronic format, you may mail it to the address below. Always send a properly bound script. If your play is a musical or a play with music, include a CD and samples of any sheet music. In addition, please include a completed copy of the pdf submissions form. If the form is not included, we will not consider your submission. We will not return any of the material submitted.
Kevin Wright, Submissions Editor
311 Washington St
Woodstock, IL 60098
Additional Notes about Musical Submissions
Should we wish to publish your musical, we will need the music that is in its final form, ready for publication and prepared as follows:
We will need a clean, clear piano arrangement. Please include chord symbols. If there is more than one line of music occurring on the same staff, please make sure that the line is clearly marked (this pertains mainly to vocal staffs). All songs must have tempo marking clearly indicated on the top staff near the cue. All cues starting the song must be noted at the beginning of the song with the person or persons singing also noted.
Please supply us with a table of contents indicating all parts and page numbers. All parts must include tempo markings, cues, bar numbers and chord symbols. Any extra instrumentation that is currently available should be extracted from the complete score and made available in separate books for each instrument.
If your musical is to be performed with an accompaniment CD, please also provide a lead sheet (melody line and chord symbols) for use in rehearsal.
Any music that is referenced but not actually supplied for the show should be listed in production notes by author and title so that it may be located easily by production groups.
You must provide us with a copy of the music for any public-domain piece(s) that are played throughout the show. The music should be complete with melody and piano arrangement. Caution: arrangements of public-domain works are often copyrighted; therefore, the sheet music may not be in public domain. Be sure the arrangement you provide is not in copyright.