In a small town a few hours outside of Birmingham, six little girls play together. As teenagers, however, the bonds of childhood begin to fray and the invisible line dividing their worlds becomes more and more pronounced. Wanda-Sue, half-black and half-white, teeters between the world of her white half-sister, Charlotte, her white friends, Dolly and June-Adele, and her black friends, sisters Ruth and Naomi. Each woman is driven by unique fears, hopes and secrets. As the years pass by and their world changes, each woman's dreams are affected by the turbulent times in which they live. Southern Girls follows these women from childhood (circa 1952) through middle age. This bittersweet memory play reflects the changes in the lives of these women in the mirror of the changing South.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code SB2000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 70 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871296597
- "Extraordinary characters, brilliant writing, mixing comedy and tragedy to take us through the stuggle for equal rights in the South."
- Review by Dr. Michael L. Counts, Lyon College, Batesville, Ark.