Unpredictable. Exasperating. Boisterous and independent. That's Ramona Quimby for you. Always aggravating her older sister, Beezus, constantly getting into trouble and sometimes "making a big, noisy fuss" when things don't go her way. As narrator, Beezus (Beatrice Quimby) introduces the Quimby family and friends and thereby sets the scene for the collection of vignettes that trace Ramona's tumultuous passage through third grade and through her family relationships. At school, she throws a tantrum when provoked by a classmate and is sent home in disgrace. The teacher's wrath, an important family wedding, persistent sibling bickering and Mr. Quimby's attempts to give up smoking are part of the fabric that shape a humorous, loving family portrait. The characters and the material, adapted by Obie Award-winning playwright Len Jenkin, are as "today" as the morning newspaper. The problems facing the Quimbys, a middle-class Oregon family, are problems common to most families, and the family's togetherness in tackling the sacrifices and adjustments required when the father is unexpectedly fired from his job is a clear statement of traditional family values. Along with the discovery that life is not always fair, eventually Ramona and Beezus come to realize that sisters may not always agree, but they can be good to have around.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code R54000
- Cast Size 26
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871293305
- "It was fun to work on a play for children that mostly avoided "sweet" situations and resolutions. This play is wise and funny. It speaks to today's kids -- and our audience loved it."
- Review by City of Davenport Parks and Recreation, Davenport, IA
- "Well loved by cast and audience alike! Ramona speaks to a variety of ages. Can't wait to produce Henry and Ramona!"
- Review by Darlene Lentz, Sand/Storybook Theater Center, Deland, FL
- "Fast-paced, funny, yet poignant interpretation of the trials and triumphs of growing up, in addition to reinforcing family values in a society "full of really crazy, scary stuff.""
- Review by Jane Meier, Rundlett Middle School, Concord, NH
- "The kids enjoyed this play because they could relate to the material. I loved the open-endedness that allowed me to be creative as a director."
- Review by Jeta Renna, Ecker Hill Middle School, Park City, Utah
- "This was, by far, our best received production in our history. Just from word-of-mouth, our final performance was "standing room only." Since our entrances came from various parts of the entire auditorium, we had to literally step around and over people."
- Review by Scott Marcum, Oz Drama Group, Blockton, Iowa
- "Full of charm, laughter, and tender moments, too. It makes you laugh and almost cry to watch the antics of these elementary-age kids growing up and experiencing life's challenges. Ramona is a third gradaer, her dad's "little sparkler," and she has a temper that gets her into messes! It's just adorable and everyone laughs!"
- Review by Sharon Garrett, Longfellow Junior High School, Enid, Okla.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "The set changes come so quickly it is best to use light and minimal pieces."
- Tip by Jeta Renna, Ecker Hill Middle School, Park City, Utah
- "Obviously, you need top-notch Ramona and Beezus. We divided our small stage into three parts via lighting -- and used the auditorium as well."
- Tip by Scott Marcum, Oz Drama Group, Blockton, Iowa
- "A fun activity for extra third graders (who have to wait for scenes in rehearsal) is making Halloween masks for the Halloween parade scene."
- Tip by Amaya Egusquiza, Majestic Theatre, Corvallis, Ore.
|Lakeside Players Inc.||Kenosha||Wisconsin||12/8/2017||12/17/2017|
|La Crosse Community Theatre||La Crosse||Wisconsin||6/8/2018||6/17/2018|
|The Griffin Auditorium||Griffin||Georgia||12/14/2017||12/15/2017|
|Emerald Ridge High School||Puyallup||Washington||5/17/2018||5/19/2018|
|Grand Terrace High Sch At The Ray Abril Jr. Edal C||Grand Terrace||California||4/19/2018||4/21/2018|
|Heather Muller Black Box Theatre at Wichita Children's Theatre & Dance Center||Wichita||Kansas||2/9/2018||2/11/2018|