Producing a Musical 101
Selecting and producing your musical should be a fun and exciting experience. These step by step guidelines will help ensure a smooth and successful event! Please note these guidelines are applicable for K-12 schools, colleges, universities and other amateur organizations. Steps may vary for professional theatres.
Step 1. Peruse music (optional) and decide on a title.
- Perusal score must be returned within 30 days of ship date.
- A perusal deposit of $100 is required for individuals not associated with an organization. The score will not ship until receipt of deposit. Deposit will be refunded upon receiving materials back on time and in good condition.
- Unreturned perusal scores are subject to a replacement fee.
- Dramatic Publishing has a no return policy for purchased scripts. We recommend purchasing a single copy for perusal before ordering enough for your full cast.
- Most titles also have a brief excerpt available online. On the product page, click the green button next to the synopsis to view a pdf.
Step 2. Complete an online performance application and generate a quote.
- All performances before an audience are subject to royalty. This is how authors are paid for their works. Regardless of whether you are charging for performances, the author must be compensated.
- Quotes are valid for 180 days after the date they are created.
Step 3. Purchase a cast quantity of scripts and receive your performance license.
- Cast size requirements are provided on the product page for every title.
- A permission to photocopy form will be issued for titles available in manuscript form only.
- Payment is due at time of purchase for individuals not associated with an organization.
- Organizations will be billed and have 30 days to complete payment.
Please note: We've gone green! Invoices are EMAILED ONLY to the email address of the account holder. Paper invoices are NOT sent to the billing address on file. It is the responsibility of the account holder to provide copies of the invoice to the accounts payable department of your organization.
The account holder can always obtain an invoice through their online account. Once logged in to the website, click on the name in the top right-hand corner and select "Order History." A list of orders will appear. Find the order you would like to review and click "View Order." There will be a "Print Invoice" button to the right of the order number.
Step 4. Pay the security deposit for rental items (or purchase required music materials for titles with sold scores).
- Each product page indicates if scores and music materials are available for rental or purchase.
- The rental deposit for production scores or accompaniment CDs is $100.00 and must be paid before any rental materials can be shipped.
- Once the deposit has been received, your music will ship 12 weeks prior to your first performance.
- Purchase orders are not acceptable forms of deposit payments.
Step 5. Rehearse and Perform your show!
Step 6. Pay royalty and music rental fees within 15 days of final performance.
- Your organization will receive an invoice for performance royalties, music rental fees and postage/handling fees for shipping your rental materials.
- The refundable deposit cannot be applied prior to the music being returned. Please do not consider it part of the payment.
Step 7. Return rental materials and receive deposit refund.
- Rental materials that are not returned within 15 days of final performance are subject to a replacement fee.