Michael owns an independent bookstore that houses the world's worst book club. Aside from Michael himself, only two members remain: Gail, a neurotic librarian beset by relationship woes, and Diane, a shoot-from-the-hip waitress who offers no-nonsense advice to her self-absorbed friends. In an effort to put his struggling bookstore on the map, Michael has been vying for the attention of the local newspaper, and they're finally showing interest. As the featured club in a piece on the "book club boom," Michael's hoping his bookstore (and his ego) will garner a much needed boost. Seeing this as his last, best hope, Michael enlists the help of Elliott—a celebrity author in town to promote his latest best-seller—to ensure the evening's success. Unfortunately, Elliott proves a disastrous choice. Unbeknownst to Michael, aside from being Diane's estranged brother, Elliott has just broken Gail's heart and has his sites set on Michael's wife, Christine. Ignoring all red flags, Michael forges ahead—but his carefully choreographed evening of glory turns into a chaotic comedy of errors. This taut comedy about friendship, loyalty, and self-doubt will have you laughing even as you recognize some of the neuroses as your own!
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code F98000
- Cast Size 5
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience College and Adult
- Performing Group College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Farce
- ISBN(13) 9781583423417
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Be sure you have the stage capabilities for five different settings... Different music for each location helped lead the audience into each scene."
- Tip by June Madson, McClure United Church, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada