This musical tells the compelling and passionate true stories of real people who lived through the Civil War, often using the actual words they left behind in diaries, letters and other writings. Joe Harris was a cotton planter from Alabama with a conflicted conscience about the war. The discovery of the existence of his diary inspired the play. Elizabeth Keckley endured the indignity of slavery, bought her freedom and became Mary Todd Lincoln's closest friend and personal assistant in the White House. Theo Perry and his pregnant wife, Harriet, were a young, married couple from Texas who were separated by the war. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain was a college professor from Maine who enlisted to fight for the Union, became a national war hero as a result of his actions at Gettysburg and accepted the Confederate surrender at Appomattox. The show contains exciting arrangements of some of the greatest songs of the period, such as "Battle Hymn of the Republic," "Amazing Grace" and "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child." Appealing to all audiences, the songs and stories bring to life the incredible drama of this stirring era.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code CN8000
- Cast Size 10
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 110 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583428009
Media Reviews"Civil War Voices is a soul-stirring crowd pleaser … splendidly entertaining." -Backstage
"From the moment the haunting strains of the violin and piano begin, you know you are in for something special...Stirring, emotionally driven, powerfully written...You will leave the theatre enlightened, renewed." -Times Square Chronicle
"Individually the stories are powerful and poignant. Taken as a whole, the group weaves a tale of the war that is very compelling...Civil War Voices is an entertaining play. But it is also an important play because it gives true voice to both sides of a struggle that is still being fought." -Washington County News
"The history of the Civil War has never been presented so creatively...Chilling stories of battle and death, injustices and hope for the future are all cleverly intertwined with songs and the period...Spectacular music." -Examiner.com
|File Description||File Format|
|He's Gone Away||mp3||Download|
|Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel?||mp3||Download|
|Battle Hymn of the Republic||mp3||Download|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).