The miserly Harpagon has plotted to marry his pretty daughter to a rich old man, but she has managed to bring her beau into the house disguised as a servant and the two flirt at every opportunity, in spite of her father. Harpagon intends to marry also. He wants the beautiful Mariane, with whom he hopes to get a large dowry. Mariane is in love with Harpagon's son. In desperation, the young people steal their father's gold, hoping that it will bring him to his senses. It does, at the last, after some swift-paced scenes of brilliant dialogue, clever action and fun. Production notes and accurate stage directions are provided.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code M28000
- Cast Size 14
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 125 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871294548
- "The Miser is a wonderful choice for high school if the boys can abide the lace and hosiery. It is a delightful period piece that mocks relationship and wealth!"
- Review by Kasey Roberts, Blanchet Catholic School, Salem, Ore.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Do it in the traditional costumeÑ the characters are enhanced by the lace and make-up."
- Tip by Kasey Roberts, Blanchet Catholic School, Salem, Ore.