Broken Hearts is a stage adaptation of three of Oscar Wilde's most poignant and timeless fairy tales. While all three stories possess a magical beauty, they also contain biting social satire and commentary about the wrongs of nineteenth century society Wilde hoped to expose. The lessons they teach are just as important to us today. In The Birthday of the Infanta, a princess' cruel inhumanity breaks the heart of a crippled "Fantastic" brought to entertain her. The Devoted Friend reveals some of the unkinder uses of friendship, and The Happy Prince discovers new-found joy and hope as he relieves poverty and despair around him. By the play's end, the audience is left to question the choices the characters make and to ponder where the justice and reward is in the sacrifices they make throughout the play.
- Type of Show Collection
- Product Code B70000
- Cast Size 7
- Pages 48
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 50 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | Community Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871291424
- "Broken Hearts was a great play to use when training students to become directors. My students had fun and learned a great deal throughout the process of producing the show."
- Review by Marie E. Fox, Williamsport Area High School, Williamsport, Pa.
- "A solid script with a great message. Easy to produce. The audience loved it."
- Review by Keith Townsend, MCC Longview, Independence, Mo.
- "Great for ensembles. Several parts for a big cast, can double cast roles as well. One of the best children's plays we've produced."
- Review by Stephanie Black, Greenwood High School, Greenwood, S.C.
- "The Birthday of the Infanta is a beautiful play and easy for children of all ages to perform. Our production had [children aged] 6 to 17 years in it and everyone enjoyed the play immensely."
- Review by Noelle Clarke, Swan Music and Theatre for Youth, County Cork, Ireland
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).