"The intention," Walter Kerr writes, "has been to make the play sound as it might have sounded to an average Athenian sitting in a popular comic theatre." As Kerr, describes the work: The Birds (414 B.C.) was Aristophanes' first Utopian play. In this instance, he has his 'comedy team' leave Athens, fed up with the frauds and bores of that society, in an effort to found a better society among the birds. To do so, they must first locate Epops, King of the Birds, who was once a man like themselves and who might be expected to know both sides of the problem. How they find him and what they persuade him to do is the body of the play. The first act concerns the founding of Cloud Cuckooland and its triumph over all earthly quacks. The second concerns its triumph over the polytheistic absurdities to which Athenian religion had been reduced.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code B56000
- Cast Size 12
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- ISBN(13) 9780871294968
- "Great play, allowing creative staging and costuming and a flexible cast. A fabulous introduction to classic Greek comedy, accessible to middle and high schoolers."
- Review by Elisabeth Ledwell, Falmouth Academy, Falmouth, Mass.
- "The play was challenging and highly entertaining. The great educational part of this play is the ability to be highly inventive and creative."
- Review by Denina Brown, Douglas County High School, Castle Rock, Colo.
- "The Birds by Aristophanes, and arranged for the stage by Walter Kerr, is a superb choice for high school theatre as it blends the classical with the contemporary in updating Aristophanes' wit, and blends his hilarious comedy with his thought-provoking social commentary."
- Review by Alan Rosenberg, Baltimore City College High School, Baltimore, Md.
- "A wonderful adaptation that plays well and offers many opportunities for stage business and laughs. Easy for students to understand and perform. A play that is both hilarious and serious in its theme."
- Review by Joni DePerno-Zahas, Camden High School, Camden, N.Y.