An original adaptation of the beloved fairy tale. Simpleton sets out to chop firewood for his mother and meets a Dear Little Old Lady in the woods. She brings him Goldie, the Golden (and talking) Goose and sends him to the castle of King Krank to woo the Princess Cry Baby. The suitor who can make the princess smile wins her hand and half the kingdom. Goldie is not only golden but enchanted, and anyone touching her feathers sticks to them. As Goldie and Simpleton wend their way to the castle, they pick up—literally—everyone they meet. The sight of Simpleton and his stuck-together retinue of an innkeeper and family, a bride and a cook not only makes the princess smile but has her laughing hysterically. This is a particularly happy combination of story and play.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code G25000
- Cast Size 19
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 55 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Elementary School | Middle School | High School | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy | Farce | Satire
- ISBN(13) 9780871297099
- "The Golden Goose is a great play for children -- both those who perform it and those who watch. The story offers both humor and a good story line. The play is not too difficult but gives enough of an acting challenge to allow young actors to develop their skills."
- Review by Evelyn Langley, Old Fort Elementary, Old Fort, NC
- "The script is very well written and the play was wonderful on stage. The parents enjoyed it."
- Review by Dwayne Barton, Ranch View Middle School, Highlands Ranch, Colo.
- "This is the second time we have produced The Golden Goose, and it was a very big hit. All our performances were sold out, and we received rave reviews from young and old. Our sets were colorful and our costumes impressive. Great fun!"
- Review by Daniel Lapointe, Heroes' Memorial School, Cowansville, Quebec, Canada