The play is set in a circus ring, which offers opportunities for fun and slapstick, as well as spectacle. The narrator acts as ringmaster, bringing to life the story of the grotesque, satisfyingly unpleasant couple, Mr. and Mrs. Twit, who enjoy playing nasty tricks on each other. Mr. Twit decides to train monkeys to perform upside down. He goes to the African rainforest and captures a family of monkeys —the Mugglewumps— and incarcerates them in a cage. The birds, who nightly roost on the big dead tree, having escaped being caught by the Twits for a bird pie, help the monkeys escape by tricking the Twits into believing that the world has turned upside down. The audience helps too!
No livestream rights are available for this title.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code TD6000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 105 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy | Farce
- ISBN(13) 9781583421727
- "The Twits was a blast to produce! Super fun characters, puppets, audience response, all of it! Then, there is the literature tie-in for some cross-curricular work with ELA, and the study of Roald Dahl, an incredibly fascinating guy. David Wood also provides a lot of production tips and advice right in the script! The students learned a lot and had a great time doing it. "
- Review by Matthew Price, Excelsior Academy Middle School, Erda, Utah
Media Reviews"Roald Dahl created some truly revolting characters… but few can compare with the noxiousness of Mr. and Mrs. Twit. This adaptation… was easily as gruesomely grotesque as Dahl could ever have intended. The show is a marvelous mix of singing, dancing, theatre, slapstick and audience participation." -South Wales Argus
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).