Stephanie's having a sleep-over with her friends when they are joined by her young cousin Melissa who can't get to sleep because she's afraid of the dark. But soon the monsters come out from under the bed and no one can get to sleep. As each girl describes her own personal fear, those fears come to life as Crumplebump (the funny noises monster), The Final Freak (the math test monster), Big Bad Boom (the thunderstorm monster), and several other terrifying creatures of the night. The girls help each other overcome their fears, and with some help from Stephanie's older sister Cathy and her monster friend Gruntable, the other monsters are banished. Conceived and written by a group of grade school and high school students, this play is sure to appeal to anyone who's ever been afraid to get out of bed in the middle of the night.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code M71000
- Cast Size 14
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 30 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871297945
- "Extremely well received. Children in the audience were wide-eyed and laughing hard. This would be a great show to take on tour."
- Review by Anna Politz, Huffines Middle School, Lewisville, TX
- "Excellent play for middle school actors/actresses. Easy to read, easy to perform, easy to relate to. Enjoyed it so much."
- Review by R. C. Catt, Study Middle School, Springfield, MO
- "A very popular subject matter! We had scores of Girl Scout troops come down to see it."
- Review by Mary Kron, Grand Rapids Civic Theatre, Grand Rapids, MI
- "Monsters Under the Bed is a great play for very young children. It teaches without being preachy."
- Review by Katherine Alexander, Berkmar High School, Lilburn, Ga.
- "Great subject matter for children done in good humor. Very easy to produce. Suggestions in script were wonderful."
- Review by Jennifer Moss, Lake Michigan College, Benton Harbor, Mich.
- "Excellent play. Great for young audiences. Something different from a fairy tale."
- Review by Jennifer Richardson, Westfield High School, Houston, Texas
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Allow your kids to be creative with the monsters ... they will amaze you. Also, make a huge bed! It makes the show so awesome."
- Tip by Gena Lee Smith, Van Vleck High School, Van Vleck, Texas