It was a simpler time in the late 1940s, especially in South Georgia and specifically in a sleepy little town called Second Samuel. What had been called the Great Depression was quickly fading into memory. The war had been won, the election was now over, and "Give 'em Hell Harry" was still president. It had been an exciting time for sure, but the folks in Second Samuel were ready for things to settle down and get back to normal. Except—this was the summer Miss Gertrude passed away, and deep dark secrets were about to be revealed. Nobody could have imagined how the death of one sweet little old lady would turn the entire town upside down, leaving everybody in Second Samuel wondering if anything would ever be normal again!
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code S1F000
- Cast Size 11
- Min. Royalty Rate $110/perf
- Cost $11.95
- Approx. Run Time 105 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults | Praise Groups
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Senior Theatre | Touring Group | Praise Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583427507
- "Second Samuel is one of the most amazing productions I've ever been a part of. The story is so powerful and important. My students completely embraced this play and have become better people for having been a part of it."
- Review by Laura Darce, Shepton High School, Plano, Texas
- "Second Samuel was one of the most successful shows we've had in recent history. It played well on our intimate second stage. The production run sold out; two more performances were added, and those sold out, too. Audiences loved it; there were standing ovations at each performance."
- Review by V.M. Logsdon, Highlands Little Theatre, Sebring, Fla.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Try very hard to get the characters developed because their relationships with each other are what create the comedy and the heart."
- Tip by Virginia Beggs, St. Andrews University, Jackson Spring, N.C.
- "Our community loved Second Samuel! If you live in a conservative area and have concerns about reaction to content, go to your school board first to explain the show to them and how it teaches about love and community. Our school board members supported us 100% and our entire journey turned out to be a beautiful one."
- Tip by Jill Henson, Centerville Jr/Sr High School, Centerville, Texas
Media Reviews"It's sharp-edged drama … and it gets its message across in an unforgettable manner." -The Post Courier
|Farmville Community Arts Council||Farmville||North Carolina||5/4/2023||5/7/2023|
|Sherman Community Players||Sherman||Texas||2/2/2024||2/18/2024|