For all the books, movies and sitcoms that have either eulogized or vilified them, the suburbs have been largely ignored by musical theatre—until now. Suburb takes an insightful, witty, and nuanced view of the world of the lawnmower, the barbecue, and the mall, exploring the suburb's rites and rituals with a four-person chorus (expandable to eight) and four main characters: Alison, a pregnant young professional determined to avoid moving back to the suburbs; Stuart, Alison's husband, who finds himself suddenly seized by an overwhelming desire to go suburban; Rhoda, the chain-smoking Über-realtor, a perpetual divorcée hell-bent on selling Alison and Stuart their dream house; and Tom, a widower and avid do-it-yourselfer who in the face of retirement has reluctantly put his home of 40 years up for sale. The stories of these four people-interwoven with the chorus's frequent musical reveries on subjects like mowing the lawn, the mall, and the perfection of perfectly grilled meat-form the road map of Suburb. "Winning and warm…a wry but enthusiastic celebration of a typical American experience." (New York Post) "A sure-fire night of musical entertainment." (The Herndon Times) "This enchanting musical bustles with energy, charm and heart." (Broadway.com) "[A] musical love note to the land of wide green lawns, shopping malls and do-it-yourselfers." (Houston Press) "Suburb is super! The songs are sprightly, spirited, loving and buoyant…you must go see this show." (WOR Radio)
NotesThis play contains strong language. If certain profanities in the script are considered objectionable, the authors give their permission to substitute language more acceptable in their place.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code SL1000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Satire
- ISBN(13) 9781583423356
- "The music is amazing. The satire is thick. Well-written dialogue. Perfect."
- Review by Ken Morris/Erin Peters, Southwest High School, Green Bay, Wis.
Media Reviews"A show well worth seing. Do so now, and later you can say you did so before it was cool." -The Washington Post
"A sweet, old-fashioned take on the charms and travails of ex-urban life." -New York Post
"The most enjoyable new musical I've seen all season." -Broadway.com
|The Girl Next Door||mp3||Download|
|Ready or Not||mp3||Download|
|Walkin' to School||mp3||Download|
|Everything Must Go||mp3||Download|
|Stagecoach Theatre Company||Ashburn||Virginia||7/12/2019||7/28/2019|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).