"This is a tale that we want to believe in, that creates a world we seem to desperately desire, free of the blatant commercialism that surrounds us, where love and decency and generosity of spirit are their own rewards. What we want Christmas to be all about, really." So writes the Santa Cruz Sentinel of this most heartwarming holiday story. By chance, Kris Kringle, an old man in a retirement home, gets a job working as Santa for Macy's. Kris unleashes waves of good will with Macy's customers and the commercial world of New York City by referring parents to other stores to find exactly the toy their child has asked for. Seen as deluded and dangerous by Macy's vocational counselor, who plots to have Kris shanghaied to Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital, Kris ends up in a court competency hearing. Especially at stake is one little girl's belief in Santa. In a dramatic decision, the court confirms Kris as the true Santa, allowing Susan and countless other children to experience the joy of childhood fantasy.
Our 8.5x11 Director’s Script will make producing your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code M96000
- Cast Size 20
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 100 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871297075
- "Wonderful script- touching, funny, and inspiring. Fans of both film versions will enjoy this show! It is a heart-warming holiday production and a rousing courtroom drama all in one!"
- Review by Rebecca Burns, Chariho High School, Wood River Junction, R.I.
- "A delightfully warm-hearted and family-friendly show which was enjoyed by our audiences, young and old alike!"
- Review by Alison Duncombe, ACTion Community Theatre, United Kingdom
- "This play was easy to produce and provided many roles. All of my students were able to have lines. The modernization made it easier to costume."
- Review by Donna Goetz, Mater Dei Catholic High School, Breese, Ill.
- "This script was very true to the original movie. I loved that I was able to give out 30+ speaking roles so that more students had a moment in the spotlight. Also easy to rehearse since the scenes are small and can be done in a limited space."
- Review by Kathleen Carmona, Lake Park High School, Roselle, Ill.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "For those theatres intending to put on this show, I would recommend that the costumer start looking for costumes well in advance, especially if they are on a tight budget and/or do not have a costumer who wants to do a lot of sewing. Patterns for this time period are very expensive and the cost of fabric has skyrocketed in the past few years."
- Tip by Frieda Jean Voeks, El Paso Playhouse, El Paso, Texas
- "For our production we used a 3 section revolve, which allowed us to easily move between the various scenes. We also found that there were many props needed for the show, so this took extra effort."
- Tip by Sean Anderson, Morpheus Theatre, Calgary, Alberta
- "We built our set so Macy's toy department spun around to be the courtroom for Act 2. It worked really well! "
- Tip by Rebecca Burns, Chariho High School, Wood River Junction, R.I.
- "Great range of roles for an inclusive cast - flexible casting for youngsters and adults."
- Tip by Alison Duncombe, ACTion Community Theatre, United Kingdom
- "I used two satellite stages to make for quick scene changes."
- Tip by Donna Goetz, Mater Dei Catholic High School, Breese, Ill.
|Cadillac Senior High School||Cadillac||Michigan||11/27/2020||12/5/2020|
|Theatrikos Theatre Company||Flagstaff||Arizona||11/25/2020||12/20/2020|
|Blue Springs High School||Blue Springs||Missouri||12/3/2020||12/13/2020|
|Ottawa Little Theatre||Ottawa||Ontario||11/24/2020||12/12/2020|
|The Mishler Theatre||Altoona||Pennsylvania||11/19/2020||11/22/2020|
|Phipps Center for the Arts, Inc.||Hudson||Wisconsin||11/20/2020||12/13/2020|
|The Grand Opera House||Dubuque||Iowa||11/27/2020||12/6/2020|
|Hastings Community Theatre||Hastings||Nebraska||11/13/2020||11/22/2020|
|Starlight Community Theater||Phoenix||Arizona||12/4/2020||12/20/2020|
|Purchase Players CPAC||Mayfield||Kentucky||12/10/2021||12/12/2021|
|Capitol Civic Centre||Manitowoc||Wisconsin||11/12/2020||11/14/2020|
|Paramount Theatre||Goldsboro||North Carolina||12/11/2020||12/13/2020|
|Silverdale Baptist Academy||Chattanooga||Tennessee||11/19/2020||11/20/2020|
|Canyon Theatre Guild||Santa Clarita||California||11/27/2020||12/22/2020|
|West Leyden High School||Northlake||Illinois||12/11/2020||12/13/2020|