"All praise to Helen Edmundson, whose The Clearing deals with a 17th-century forerunner of 'ethnic cleansing,' that period in Ireland when Cromwell planted the seeds of the troubles that still afflict the country today… The play centers on the dilemma of Robert Preston, an English landowner's son, who has married an Irish woman, had a son and is beginning to develop his small estate. Though passionately in love with his wife, he decides he loves his home more, refusing to support his wife when she goes in search of their servant girl who has been snatched for transportation, endeavoring to strike a deal with the cold and heartless governor and giving his wife no option except to leave him and live rough so that the child dies. It is a story of romance, passion and treachery." (The Stage, London)
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code C20000
- Cast Size 10
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 165 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583420218
- "This show is beautiful and hard hitting with fantastic roles and lots of room for directorial and design creativity. It is relevant, intelligent and thought provokingÑa perfect play for high schools who want to reach beyond the norm."
- Review by Mona Wood-Patterson, Durango High School, Durango, Colo.
|University of Nebraska at Omaha||Omaha||Nebraska||9/26/2018||10/6/2018|