A shooting rampage in Tucson, Ariz., creates international headlines as Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords becomes one of the victims. A young intern from Tucson, Daniel Hernandez Jr., rushes to Giffords’ rescue, and he’s credited with helping save her life. The media creates a circus around him, transforms him into a reluctant hero and opens up his private life to public scrutiny, especially when he wasn’t ready to discuss his involvement in the LGBTQ community. This is the real story of an unexpected hero who is thrown unintentionally into the limelight, and, in flashbacks, the play depicts what led to that crucial day in Tucson in which everything changed for Daniel and for the national political landscape surrounding the gun debate and gun violence. The play features elements of growing up in a bicultural, bilingual Latino family in the southwest and Daniel’s discovery of his commitment to public life. There’s also humor and compassion as the play depicts Daniel’s real-life friendship with Gabby Giffords, which survives this tragedy.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code TV8000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619591998
- "Very topical, timely and thought provoking. The audience was extremely moved by the piece and there was much post show conversation."
- Review by Ann Wilkinson, Arizona West College, Yuma, Ariz.
|TMCC Performance Lab Red Mountain 240||Reno||Nevada||4/27/2023||5/6/2023|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).