Mix together a batch of fruitcakes, three dozen Christmas trees, 10,000 outdoor Christmas lights, a chicken pox epidemic, two southern spinsters, an estranged old man, a lost cat named Tutti Frutti and a Christmas hog named Buster and you've got the recipe for a fun-filled and touching evening of holiday cheer. Into this world comes Jamie, a kid who has run away from home and come as far as his money will take him. At first he thinks this town's inhabitants are "nuttier than fruitcakes," but soon he comes to admire, appreciate and adore this nutty little town. A moving story of alienation, understanding and reconciliation, FrUiTCaKeS provides audiences with a heaping helping of holiday warmth and Christmas cheer.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code F49000
- Cast Size 21
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults | Praise Groups
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Senior Theatre | Praise Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871290403
- "FrUiTCaKeS is a funny, "down-home" show with fun characters and a good ending."
- Review by Lydie Vick, Black Rose Theatre Company, Brandon, Miss.
- "This is one play that I, as the director, never got bored with. I continued to laugh at the jokes and characters throughout all eight weeks of performance! I would love to see more scripts by this author."
- Review by Amy Deslattes, Patterson High School, Patterson, La.
- "This was one of the most enjoyable theatre experiences I've had. We were able to make a positive connection with our community. They loved the play."
- Review by Jon Blackstock, Jenkins County High School, Millen, Ga.
- "This heartwarming story with a large and flexible cast was so much fun for my students to produce. The audience loved it!"
- Review by Courtney Thomas, Elysian Fields I.S.D., Elysian Fields, Texas
- "This is a beautifully written portrait of the importance of family and how Christmas is a time to celebrate that."
- Review by Gina Moore, Henry County High School, McDonough, Ga.
- "We have never had such an overwhelming audience response as we did with FrUiTCaKeS. A funny, heartwarming, yet thought provoking play that had our audience laughing one minute, crying the next. Highly recommended."
- Review by Joan Sonnenburg, Theatre Night in Merrickville, Merrickville, Ontario, Canada
- "The best received play we've ever done. We've performed this play twice before; but with the author's new rewrite and fewer sets, it's a tighter, happier play."
- Review by Dee Wallace, Sierra County Arts Council, Sierra City, Calif.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Keep the set simple and versatile."
- Tip by Gina Moore, Henry County High School, McDonough, Ga.
- "Act I, Scene Three: "Buster the Christmas Hog" For our production we had motors to operate the tail and head (which were separate pieces). I think we found a mechanised sign from someplace and modified it. We used a flashpot for the explosion (but in most places you need a pyrotech license for this). If you want a simple effect, just surround him with chaser Christmas lights; for the short-out, just plug and unplug, add a recorded hum if you like. (You can probably download that from the Internet ... "google" for sound effects, burn on a CD and play.) If you wanted a popping sound, you could get a starter pistol from a sporting goods store and fire it offstage, or the person "working" on Buster could fire it behind the plywood cut-out. The key is for actors around this to react ... you can probably borrow a CO2 fire extinguisher from the local fire department ... be sure it's CO2 and not a chemical extinguisher."
- Tip by (Author) Julian Wiles, Charleston Stage, Charleston, S.C.
- "We literally blew the audience's socks off with the final note of "2001." We had three air cannons that exploded streamers and confetti all over the auditorium. The cast was not told before the first night."
- Tip by Dee Wallace, Sierra County Arts Council, Sierra City, Calif.
|Winder Cultural Arts Center||Winder||Georgia||11/30/2018||12/2/2018|
|First Presbyterian Church of Jonesboro||Jonesboro||Georgia||11/9/2018||11/18/2018|
|Royal Off-the-Square Theatre||Brownstown||Indiana||11/30/2018||12/8/2018|
|Sioux City Community Theatre||Sioux City||Iowa||11/30/2018||12/16/2018|
|Habersham Community Theater||Clarkesville||Georgia||11/29/2018||12/9/2018|
|Young Theatre Players||Simcoe||Ontario||12/6/2018||12/16/2018|
|Bearden High School||Bearden||Arkansas||12/19/2018||12/19/2018|
|Zabee Theatre||Elk River||Minnesota||11/2/2018||11/10/2018|
|Community Theatre of Cabot||Cabot||Arkansas||11/30/2018||12/9/2018|