Frank Bigelow walks into a police station to report a murder: his own. One day earlier, the small-time accountant kissed his girlfriend and secretary, Paula, goodbye and left on a trip to San Francisco with mysterious intentions. Shortly after he arrives, he's invited to join a group of rowdy businessmen celebrating with their clients after a successful market week. After a wild night of drinking at jazz clubs with sexy women, he wakes feeling ill. A doctor and detective arrive to deliver tragic newsBigelow has been poisoned, and he only has hours left to live. Bigelow frantically searches the city for his killer and the reason he was targeted. Each person he encounters gives him a piece of the story that includes a mysterious suicide, a shady business deal gone wrong, and conniving women. But can he believe anything he hears? Paula desperately searches for answers as Frank phones home with cryptic questions and an ever-increasing sense of doom. Will he unravel the mystery before his time runs out? Will the killer be brought to justice? An adaptation of the 1950s classic noir film, D.O.A. is a swiftly moving thriller that will keep audiences on the edge of their seats. With cigar-smoking detectives and gun-toting femme fatales, D.O.A. includes all the noir tropes plus updates to the story that will appeal to modern audiences.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code DG2000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Drama | Melodrama
- ISBN(13) 9781619591097
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Be aware of many quick scene changes."
- Tip by Devin Burke, Clare Public Schools, Clare, Mich.
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).