Mythical beasts, colorful costumes, rhythmic music and Balinese masks weave an exotic spell in this fanciful blend of three comic Indonesian folktales. In The Widow and the Wealthy Neighbor, a single actor portrays a poor widow, a bumbling servant and a miserly neighbor in a comic tale of greed. A scheming monkey plays its mischief on a legendary beast, long of hair but short of patience, in The Monkey and the Barong. The Buffalo and the Bell pits three notorious cheats against a simple-minded farmer, his water buffalo and a magic bell. The traditional gamelan orchestra is an integral part of a Topeng performance, with the musicians and performers taking their cues from each other. The costumed musicians sit on the ground in full view of the audience. Recorded authentic gamelan music is a possibility, augmented with live accompaniment. The flavor of the gamelan might be suggested by the use of a marimba or xylophone, a gong, bells, cymbals, drums, a windchime, and a bamboo flute. Other instruments for special effects might include a woodblock, claves, a ratchet, a triangle, sandpaper blocks, a guiro, a klaimba, a slide whistle and an autoharp. One set of musicians may play throughout the performance, or various actors may double as musicians.
- Type of Show Collection
- Product Code T53000
- Cast Size 9
- Pages 64
- Min. Royalty Rate $60/perf
- Cost $7.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | Community Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871295569
- "This is an excellent script to use to explore theatre from an Eastern culture. You must research and incorporate a different style."
- Review by Rachel Sailer, Salem High School, Salem, Va.
- "Lively, active work for middle school students. Allows great creative movement opportunities as well as interdisciplinary arts projects and culture study."
- Review by Liz Snell, U-32 School, Montpelier, Vt.
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).