A trio of young women wait the final call before the qualifying heat for the Olympic swim team. All are under extreme pressure, and one of them has found an undetectable performance-enhancing drug. When she is caught by the other two, she doesn't try to cover up what she has been doing—she attempts to convince them to join her. Bathers explores the values our society places on athletic competitions and the need to win at all costs. If everyone cheats and no one gets caught, who loses? The ending does not take the easy way out; all three girls decide to use the drug rather than maintain their integrity. "Maybe somebody will give you a medal for your integrity, but don't count on it. They only give medals for winning." This is more than a "just-say-no" play. It deals with the ambiguities of decision making. It is a play that helps to define the questions without forcing an answer.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code B74000
- Cast Size 3
- Min. Royalty Rate $45/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 25 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | TYA | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871292162
- "Bathers is an excellent play for a high school production. It is simple to stage and provides three meaty roles for young women. The script ... deals with a socially relevant theme realistically. Our production was directed by a student and was quite successful."
- Review by James Wicker, Gaither High School, Tampa, Fla.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Keep the set simple. Costuming can consist of swimsuits plus sweats and/or jackets."
- Tip by James Wicker, Gaither High School, Tampa, Fla.