Here's the best Gay Nineties melodrama we've seen, and the more seriously your actors play it, the more humorous your audience will find it! This marvelous show had a long and highly successful national tour, receiving excellent reviews as it was presented more than a thousand times. The playwright has put the fruit of all this experience into the playbook for your use. The show begins at the Old Homestead where "our Nell" is enticed by the villain to go to New York and sing in a fine music hall. The second act is at a Bowery honky-tonk where she makes her New York debut. Then back at the Old Homestead, "our Nell," having endured many trials and tribulations, comes home after walking from the railroad station through a terrible storm. And—happy end—she's still "pure as the driven snow!"
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code A11000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 100 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Farce | Melodrama
- ISBN(13) 9780871293138
- "This is the best full-act melodrama in print."
- Review by John Schreiber, Triton High School, Dodge Center, Minn.
- "This is the third time I've done this playÑonce as a performer in high school, and twice as a director. It gets better every time!"
- Review by Sally Miller, Hidden Valley High School, Roanoke, Va.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Be sure to teach your actors how to engage the audience. The audience becomes more essential than ever as a critical piece in the puzzles. We all had a blast, and the audience said it was a "hoot" and a "scream"!"
- Tip by Sally Miller, Hidden Valley High School, Roanoke, Va.