In Sai Ngam in Northeastern Thailand, Lĕk h̄æ̀ng h̄nụ̀ng, the egotistical first-bird-in-waiting to the queen of Thailand, has been kidnapped by an evil bird vendor! And now she’s stuck in a 350-year-old, 35,000-square-foot banyan tree. Gentle and kind Sumalee, third-bird-in-waiting, has come to her rescue, but she is caught and ends up trapped in the tree herself. Poor Songsuda, a pin-tailed parrot-finch, has been in the banyan tree so long that she’s forgotten how old she is and has given up all hope of ever getting out of there. On top of that, it’s really crowded because so many people buy birds, fish, turtles and eels to release into the tree for improved karma, which is silly since everyone knows that good karma comes from good deeds. When a wanderer of the world, singer of song and magician supreme (who is able to shape-shift into anything he wants) named Chatchom arrives, he might be their best and only chance at freedom, but Lĕk refuses to heed any suggestions from one who is of lesser birth than herself. All the while, Pichai, the evil bird vendor, keeps selling and retrieving birds over and over again. To help them escape, Chatchom shape-shifts into a monk and, with a simple bowl of rice, reminds Pichai of his kind nature and the lessons that his father taught him when he was young. In the end, Pichai leads Songsuda and all the birds, fish, turtles and eels out of the tree. Lĕk and Sumalee are returned to the queen’s gardens on magic feathers given to them by Chatchom, but only after Lĕk realizes that you can learn from everyone and that everyone and everything has worth and value, even a single grain of rice. A lesson in life for all of us!
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code TV4000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 55 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | Community Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619591424
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).