Sycamore Street is a peaceful street, yet there's an underlying excitement. Joseph Blake, a new man in the neighborhood, is not welcome. His neighbors have decided to force him out. There are a number of reasons why such things happen. In this case, it's because the man once served a brief term in prison. Also, though his daughter is a model student, the neighbors don't want their children to associate with her. They form a mob and plan to march on the Blake house. Only one man, Arthur Hayes, fights an inner battle. In a scene of tremendous power, Blake stands up to the crowd.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code T27000
- Cast Size 18
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871293251
- "A wonderful story of moral courage and compassion. Enough humor to break the tension and enough tension to keep the show moving."
- Review by Paula Myers, WHS Theater, Waxahachie, Texas
- "Ever timely story of prejudices and closed minds. Simply powerful. Tremendous emotional response to our show."
- Review by Stephan Kiszely, Bailiwick Players, Elkhart Lake, Wis.
- "This play was very moving. It gave us a way to explore the issue of prejudice and blind discrimination without making it about race. This was essential because of our school's lack of ethnic diversity."
- Review by Angelo Carter, Philo High School, Philo, Ohio
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We built a suggestion of the front porch. It worked well. Pacing is everything in this show."
- Tip by Angelo Carter, Philo High School, Philo, Ohio