In this Southern Gothic comedy of romance, murder and alien abduction, the Nettle sisters are determined to escape spinsterhood—Willie Mae by going to Salt Lake and finding a good Mormon husband and Faye by hopping on the spaceship when the "space people" return for another visit. We meet Faye and Willie Mae as they return home to their ramshackle swamp dwelling in Sugar Bean, Florida, after a disastrous daytrip to Disney World, where Willie lost her prized Eva Gabor wig on Space Mountain. Having witnessed the landing of an alien space craft some 25 years ago in her daddy's sugarcane field, Faye prepares for the return of her celestial visitors on this night, the very anniversary of that fateful day. A disturbance in the sugarcane field lures the sisters outside to investigate, and Faye recalls how their infamous daddy claimed to have witnessed dead folk walking through Sugar Bean on a similar night many years before. A strange bird-like woman suddenly appears out of the darkness of Buster Swamp, setting in motion a chain of extraordinary events. Lies begin to unravel and the truth is revealed as the Sugar Bean Sisters hatch a diabolical plot to ensure the space people's return.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code SL7000
- Cast Size 5
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 135 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781583423684
- "Hilariously funny! I can't remember ever having so much fun rehearsing a play. And the audiences love it, too!"
- Review by Eric Shephard, VLA Theatre, Killeen, Texas
- "For community theatres that struggle to get men to audition but have several strong actresses, this is the play for you. Our audiences loved it."
- Review by Jean Nollmann, Winner Community Playhouse, Winner, S.D.
- "Great hit! Everyone who saw our production almost fell out of their chair laughing."
- Review by Joe Timmons III, Community Playhouse of Lancaster, Lancaster, S.C.
- "I have never had so much fun with a show! From beginning to end everyone was engaged. The dialogue was edgy and flowed. We looked forward to every rehearsal. Loved this script!"
- Review by Greta Peterson, John B. Conally HS, Austin, TX
Media Reviews"A wildly funny script." -LA Weekly
"An entertaining, phantasmagorical tale… The Sugar Bean Sisters is one sweet success!" -Vero Beach Press Journal
"An exuberantly wacky comedy… weird and wonderful!" -The Gainesville Sun
"Hilarious!" -Los Angeles Times
"Authentic Southern Gothic comedy…You will enjoy recalling its deliciously lunatic lines!" -New York Newsday
"Deliciously offbeat…Sisterhood as an extreme sport… It's just plum impossible to resist the flights of whimsy!" -The San Jose Mercury News
"Sanders has a colorfully twisted imagination, a sharp-tongued way with one-liners and uniquely vulnerable characters that have no desire to live ordinary lives." -The San Francisco Bay Times
|Billings Studio Theatre Inc||Billings||Montana||6/4/2020||6/20/2020|
|Navasota Theatre Alliance||Navasota||Texas||4/24/2020||5/10/2020|
|Wetumpka Depot Players||Wetumpka||Alabama||9/10/2020||9/26/2020|
|Oakwood H S||Oakwood||Texas||3/4/2020||3/4/2020|
|George Wythe High School||Wytheville||Virginia||1/31/2020||2/1/2020|
|The Pumphouse Players||Cartersville||Georgia||3/19/2021||3/27/2021|