One of the most beautiful of all fairy tales, the timeless appeal of The Snow Queen lies in its persuading us that life is truly magical. Andersen's wonderful language surfaces in Grandma's description of the Snow Queen—"On winter nights when we are asleep she flies silently through the streets and alleyways. Sometimes she stops to look through a window, and when you get up the window is covered with flowers of frost for she has breathed on the glass." The wicked Snow Queen casts her icy spell on the world, turns young Kay's heart to ice and takes him away as her eternal prisoner to her Ice Palace at the very top of the world. Gerda, Kay's friend, must journey forever north and brave many dangers in her attempt to save Kay and break Winter's grip. Gerda never gives up. She leads us through terrifying ordeals as well as endless fun and nonsense. A long the way Gerda encounters talking ravens, the evil Cobweb Spider, a prince and princess, a band of robbers and the wild robber-girl, greedy polar bears and the brave reindeer who carries Gerda across the artic wastes. This is a wonderful, fast-paced adventure story.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code S84000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871290656
- "The interaction with the audience was a huge success."
- Review by Don Hillenbrandt, Creators Arts Centre, Kelowna, BC
- "A fun-filled family production that is heartwarming for all ages."
- Review by Dan Blackley, El Toro High School, Lake Forest, Calif.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "One of the most spectacular moments of the production was the arrival of the Snow Queen. We managed to borrow a genuine antique sleigh which we rigged with casters, and the Snow Queen arrived in it pulled by her squad of polar bears."
- Tip by Raymond Holt, Huronia Players, Midland, Ontario, Canada
Media Reviews"Possibly the finest new children's play of the last decade... The play is a terrific adventure... haunting, moving, and very funny indeed... What Paterson manages to distill from Andersen’s great story is the essence of a solstice festival far more ancient than either Christmas or Saturnalia. This is Yule, the midwinter feast of light in darkness, of faith in the return of the sun." -Guardian
"So far ahead of the pack that Paterson could stop for a five-course Christmas lunch before the others caught up. His use of vast mythic structure, reminiscent of the fantasy worlds of Philip Pullman and C.S. Lewis, is charming and enchanting—and there are some great gags in there too." -Sunday Herald
"You leave The Snow Queen feeling winter might be conquered, but Stuart Paterson's classic drama will last forever." -Herald
|Theatre Off The Square||Weatherford||Texas||6/15/2018||6/24/2018|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).