The Little Prince may have returned to his own tiny planet to tend his Rose and look after his Sheep, but for a short enchanted time he returns to us and comes alive on stage. This play tells the story of a world-weary and disenchanted Aviator whose sputtering plane strands him in the Sahara Desert, and a mysterious, regal "little man" who appears and asks him to "Please, sir, draw me a sheep." During their two weeks together in the desert, the Little Prince tells the Aviator about his adventures through the galaxy, how he met the Lamplighter and the Businessman and the Geographer, and about his strained relationship with a very special flower on his own tiny planet. The Little Prince talks to everyone he meets: a garden of roses, the Snake and a Fox who wishes to be tamed. From each he gains a unique insight which he shares with the Aviator: "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly." "What is essential is invisible to the eye." At length, both the little man and the Aviator must go home—each with a new understanding of how to laugh, cry and love again.
This play (adapted from the musical by the same authors) includes the required use of a CD of incidental music and sound effects which brings a heartfelt, lyrical quality to the production.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code L93000
- Cast Size 4
- Min. Royalty Rate $110/perf
- Cost $11.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583420492
- "Everyone loves the story and the theatricality of the adaptation allows the director to let their imagination soar."
- Review by Carol Svoboda, Lincoln Southeast High School, Lincoln, Neb.
- "The Little Prince is a glorious story with universal appeal. It is simultaneously provocative and comical, very much like St. Exupery's original novella. Our drama club's maturity grew tremendously through our rehearsals, largely because of the spiritual complexity of the play. The show was magical, and I highly recommend it for all groups!"
- Review by Dora Mitropoulos, West Florence High School, Florence, S.C.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "For the drawing portion, it is very hard to do all of the sketching live on stage in a timely fashion. Maybe have a portion of each drawing already sketched and then finish it on stage."
- Tip by Dora Mitropoulos, West Florence High School, Florence, S.C.
Media Reviews"A multilayered tale that awakens the child tucked inside all of us." -Cape Cod Times
"There aren't many plays in New York or anywhere else that can hold the attention of both children and serious adult theatre patrons the way this play can." -Baton Rouge Advocate
|Ent Center for the Arts||Colorado Springs||Colorado||11/24/2023||12/17/2023|
|FM Kirby Shakespeare Theatre||Madison||New Jersey||8/12/2023||8/12/2023|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).