You'll love following the Little Mermaid, who in this brand-new version is a strong-willed but endearing innocent, on her first journey to the Top of the Sea. There she meets the painfully shy but quietly funny Ollie, reluctantly in training to be king and not exactly her idea of a storybook prince. Their ensuing friendship is the special and perceptive core of the play. Also on hand are her proud father, King Neptune; the Sea Urchin, his major-domo and the real power behind the throne; and her outspoken Granny. We mustn't overlook the marvelous Sea Witch, who is desperate to get her hands on the mermaid's most precious possession and has enlisted the help of a pair of turtles as henchmen, two wonderfully comic inventions. Visually the play offers unlimited possibilities for imaginative staging. Most importantly, Mr. Glennon, with his unique gift for wit, has put a contemporary spin on the Andersen original, removing the Victorian heaviness without reducing the story's charm. Both wise and funny in equal proportions, this new telling of The Little Mermaid will, indeed, appeal to all audiences.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code L79000
- Cast Size 17
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871294357
- "This is a great story, very well written, with the refreshing themes of self-confidence and friendship. Wonderful characters and very touching situations make this an instant winner! Our audiences LOVE it!"
- Review by Anna Maria Mula, Little Palm Family Theatre, Boca Raton, FL
- "The Little Mermaid was kid friendly, a good length and had wonderful comic relationships. Great for high school or middle school production in large part because of the wonderful message of friendship."
- Review by Margot McIlvenna, Bend Senior High School, Bend, OR