This superb adaptation is ideal for high school one-act play contests, classroom studies and mini-productions. The Importance of Being Earnest is a masterpiece of high comedy, sparkling with provocative observations. All of the highlights of the play are retained in this short adaptation—the plot's unexpected farcical twists, the characters and the dialog. Oscar Wilde called his play "A trivial comedy for serious people." He commented that the first act is "ingenious," the second act "beautiful" and the third "abominably clever." Audiences and critics alike applaud the play as a celebration of wit.
Livestream Rights AvailableContact our customer service department for more information.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code IA8000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Farce
- ISBN(13) 9781583427606
- "My students loved doing this show. They enjoyed the pacing and language. The characters and their motivations were understandable and approachable for the students. I also had a student director who was very successful with this one act."
- Review by David Smith, Portland High School, Portland, Maine
- "It was a perfect rendition of the full play. It was an appealing classic story to a new drama program."
- Review by Lizzy Brannan, Merritt Island Christian School, Merritt Island, FL
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "I felt it beneficial to work on script using accents from the start."
- Tip by Lizzy Brannan, Merritt Island Christian School, Merritt Island, FL