In this fanciful and charming reframing of the traditional story of the shoemaking elves, the central character is Gunther, an old shoemaker. War rages across Europe and, somewhere in the midst of that conflict, Gunther has lost his only son. Gunther has also lost his will to work and instead waits for the daily casualty lists, sharing with his friend, the tailor, a growing dread. The same war claims the mother of a precocious boy named Peter. Elves grant the wish of the dying mother that Peter will live and be protected and cared for. A soldier brings Peter to Gunther, who reluctantly takes him as an apprentice. The elves watch over Peter and magically make shoes to the delight of the boy and the consternation of Gunther. The magical events turn the entire town topsy-turvy and gradually soften the heart of Gunther, who finds in the boy the son he has lost.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code E52000
- Cast Size 12
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 65 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults | Praise Groups
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Senior Theatre | Touring Group | Praise Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583425879
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "It's helpful to have a decent set designer to help you pull off lots of cute elf hidey-holes. We used gelt, or chocolate coins, for the gold coins required in the production, and then let the cast and crew share them with their siblings after curtain call. So much fun!"
- Tip by Maggie Beedles, Lost in the Woods Homeschool Association, Waynesville, N.C.