The noble, but vain, Reginald Rooster is the leader of the Republic of Fowladelphius. He and his loyal constituents are convinced that it is his crowing which causes the sun to rise every day. Enter Foxy Moxy, son of Foxy Woxy, who weasels his way into the barnyard to dispel the myth (and, yes, there's a weasel lurking in the shadows, too). Set on the eve and morning of Cockle Lochinvar Day, in honor of Reginald's late father, there is action aplenty, culminating in the near overthrow of the republic in a hotly contested election that comes down to a single vote. This delightful fantasy includes disguises, mistaken identities, budding barnyard romances and even a play-within-a-play featuring Henny Penny and her feathered friends who try to tell the king the sky is falling. In addition to the intriguing plot and colorful characters, a lesson or two is learned along the way, resulting in a wiser, humbler Reginald. As for the fox—he declares, as he is banished from the barnyard, "I'll be back!" (An empy threat? Or a set-up for a sequel? Only time will tell.)
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code D81000
- Cast Size 11
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- ISBN(13) 9781583422083
- "Something to crow about! was the resounding theme response. A very fun summer theatre event. Lots of flexibility for staging, costumes and casting made this play a perfect drama choice for students wanting a summer vacation filler."
- Review by Eunice Bragg, Pioneer Valley Christian School, Springfield, Mass.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We used brown tarps tied to poles for our barnyard roomÑpainted our scene onto the brown tarpsÑadded bales of hay on the floorÑso easy!"
- Tip by Eunice Bragg, Pioneer Valley Christian School, Springfield, Mass.