This latest play from John O'Brien deals with a terrible problem of today—the acts of terrorism against innocents which the terrorists perceive as justified by what they hope to achieve. In this play a young woman is recruited for such a purpose, and in a few sentences the author describes the resulting play: "Softy is a 30-minute ticking time bomb. Some people choose to suffer harm rather than inflict it. Softy is such a person. She has the best of all reasons to seek vengeance, but at the moment of truth, she chooses to die rather than kill. Not for the weak of heart."
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code S94000
- Cast Size 5
- Min. Royalty Rate $45/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 20 min
- ISBN(13) 9780871290984
- "Softy is a story that personalizes a terrorist act, bringing us into the lives of both victims and perpetrator in such a way that we truly care for all involved. It is a thought-provoking piece about human relationships, revenge, hopelessness and where each one of us "draws the line." With humor, love, sadness and kindness, we enter a world we usually only hear about and too often depersonalize."
- Review by Leslie Thomas, Whitefish High School, Whitefish, Mont.
- "A solid one-act for beginning to advanced actors."
- Review by Shelly Riggs, Logan High School, Logan, Ohio
- "A very moving, powerful piece relevant to what's happening in the world today."
- Review by Alison O'Toole, Prince Rupert Secondary School, Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada