Neil and Melanie have just bought their dream "starter" home in Shady Meadows, a brand-new subdivision built over a wetland. At first they think they've discovered a paradise—green lawns, friendly neighbors, less crowded schools, nationally rated golf courses and plenty of shopping malls. But when they first hear the ominous croaking, they begin to feel the first flickers of doubt. And during a Friday night cookout with their neighbors, the Clotts, Melanie and Neil find out that all is not as it should be in their new home. The threats suddenly seem endless. Frogs. Mold. Confused waterbirds. The works. As the wetland tries to find its way back, the newest residents of Shady Meadows prepare for all-out war. Shady Meadows is a cautionary comedy about the human desire to control the environment—and the potential devastation of not giving nature its due. Commissioned by the Chicago Humanities Festival.
Livestream Rights AvailableContact our customer service department for more information.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code SN5000
- Cast Size 4
- Min. Royalty Rate $45/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 25 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781583425794
- "Shady Meadows is a hilarious play with a great message. The students absolutely loved performing because of all the laughs."
- Review by Meghan Byrne, King David High School, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada