Sara is an unusual child. She speaks Hindustani, French and English, has read almost every book in her father's library and uses fantasy to imagine herself a princess. When her Army captain father leaves her at a boarding school in London, Sara is distraught but makes friends and wins over the headmistress, Miss Minchin, by her intelligence (and her wealth). However, when news arrives that Sara's father has died and that his fortune has been lost, Miss Minchin turns Sara into a servant, banishing her to a rat-infested attic. Sara suffers cold and hunger, but at the moment she believes she can survive no longer, she finds her bare room transformed to a place of warmth and magnificence. Is some magic at work? Is Sara actually the princess she fantasized?
NotesAfter the intermission, page 30, Scene Six should be considered a second act.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code SB5000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Praise Groups
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Touring Group | Praise Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871297341
- "A timeless classic that is a joy to both adults and children. A wonderful lesson in compassion and the power to change your world."
- Review by Lisa Roberts, Butterfield Stage, Gainesville, TX
- "Excellent subject matter. Lots of interesting possibilities for staging. Large cast helps include more students. Loved the play. Would do it again in the future without hesitation."
- Review by Jim Rhodes, Forsan High School, Forsan, TX
- "Enjoyed itÑeasy to stage, strong dialogue."
- Review by Michelle Long, Charlotte Christian School, Charlotte, N.C.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Don't work so hard to recreate scenesÑwork with it as a more symbolically staged show and it will be much easier to tackle."
- Tip by Michelle Long, Charlotte Christian School, Charlotte, N.C.