Re-nata and Maria have questions about their future. Who doesn't? But when Renata convinces Maria to hold a séance, the girls get more than they bargained for. They conjure up a mysterious figure who answers their questions but also tells them how he knows the answers: they're fictional. Renata and Maria are characters in a play called S.P.A.R., a play written by the mysterious man. He proves he's their maker by predicting the future, twisting reality and finally showing them the audience. Renata's not happy about being in S.P.A.R. The play becomes a contest of wills between author and character. But it's not a fair fight: after all, he has the script. And when Renata tries to enlist the audience's help, the author proves that the audience is fictional as well!
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code SH5000
- Cast Size 10
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 35 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781583421574
- "SPAR -- absolutely wonderful! Very funny while being thoughtful and deep. Fun to do and watch."
- Review by Tom Fearon, Woodcreek High School, Roseville, CA
- "S.P.A.R.was my first directing experience, and it could hardly have been a better experience. The comic factor was perfect, while being just confusing enough to keep the audience on their toes. Two thumbs up!"
- Review by Jim Wojewoda, Merrimack High School, Merrimack, N.H.
- "This was a student-directed project. It was quite challenging, but also a lot of fun."
- Review by Judy Swiger, Mahomet-Seymour High School, Mahomet, Ill.
- "This play is highly entertaining and a perfect vehicle for a high school cast. The humor is sophisticated and unexpected. It's an audience favorite."
- Review by William Prenetta, Ellington High School, Ellington, Conn.
- "My students loved S.P.A.R.. It was a good choice for a student director. Not only did the actors love performing the play, but it was also a great hit with the high-school audiences."
- Review by Cynthia Radford, Middletown High School, Middletown, Calif.
- "S.P.A.R. is hilarious and energetic; it kept our audience guessing and was so much fun for both the cast and crew to produce. As director, it was a play that allowed me to be creative, and I was able to personalize our production to fit my actors. Two Thumbs Up."
- Review by Rachel Ribeiro, Las Montanas Charter High School, Las Cruces, N.M.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "It works simply and can be produced on a bare stage if necessary."
- Tip by William Prenetta, Ellington High School, Ellington, Conn.