This is a play concerning the emotional problems of young people that requires only a bare stage and a few representational props. In spite of a warning, Jim won't stay away from Judy, even though she is the steady of Buzz, the leader of a gang of high school toughs. Determined to stay out of trouble and yet unwilling to be thought of as a coward, Jim manages successfully until his new friend, Plato, in an effort to help him, is beaten up and the other students start to call him "chicken." Jim agrees to a fantastic test of courage between himself and Buzz. A tragic accident takes place. Jim, shocked, tries to go to the authorities but only succeeds in arousing the leaderless but vicious remains of Buzz's high school gang, who set out to find and punish him for "betrayal." Jim and Judy begin to discover in each other part of the answer they have been looking for to some of the problems of being teenagers. Plato tries to delay the gang when they appear looking for Jim, but in his confusion and terror, Plato runs away and creates thereby another tragedy.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code R12000
- Cast Size 23
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871292780
- "A great show to allow young actors to develop strong characters they can relate to."
- Review by Kim Domdierre, Charles P. Allen High School, Bedford, NS
- "Very moving and thought provoking. It challenged our students' abilities and stimulated some very good discussions."
- Review by Rev. Jay E. Shaffer, Shanksville High School, Shanksville, Pa.
- "Rebel Without a Cause is an incredible adaptation of the film produced by Warner Bros. A wonderful script with intelligently written, three-dimensional characters that provide the actors and audience with an exciting theatrical experience!"
- Review by Maureen Bernstein, Desert Oasis High School, Las Vegas, Nev.
- "Rebel Without a Cause was a rousing success and spoke to our students about the lives and decisions made by young people who are not fortunate to have loving, healthy families."
- Review by Dale Stanhope, Cantwell Sacred Heart of Mary High School, Montebello, Calif.
|Penobscot Theatre Company||Bangor||Maine||8/15/2019||8/18/2019|