Pirates! is an adaptation of the operetta without the music. On turning 21, Frederic is released from his apprenticeship with a band of soft-hearted pirates. He hears a chorus of girls and falls instantly in love with Mabel, the daughter of Major General Stanley. The pirates enter the scene and are confronted by the major general, and when he tries to divert them with a lie, they assault his house. A melee ensues, which is quashed by a comic band of policemen. More complications abound when Frederic learns that, because he was born on Leap Day (Feb. 29), a day that occurs every four years, he has had far fewer birthdays and is still indentured to the pirates! Jon Jory's adaptation has hilarious text and uses some of the brisk and comic song lyrics as dialogue.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code PM9000
- Cast Size 18
- Min. Royalty Rate $55/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 25 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781619592230
- "Pirates! is an excellent script and very true to the spirit of the original Pirates of Penzance. The students had a great time working on and performing it. The audience love it. Pirates! is very suitable for a high school group. We combined it with another one act show for our spring production."
- Review by Lois DeVries, Covenant Christian High School, Demotte, Ind.
- "Pirates! fit in well with our short plays evening. It has room for lots of characters and is fun to costume. Only runs about 30 minutes, so it can be produced fairly quickly ( in 7 or 8 rehearsals) Lots of Fun!"
- Review by Richard Tomlin, Guido de Bres Christian HS, Hamilton, Ontario
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).