Fall out from a satellite probe shot to Venus returns to Earth carrying a mysterious radiation that transforms the unburied dead into flesh-eating zombies. Seven people trapped in an isolated farmhouse, held hostage by the ravenous ghouls, begin to turn on each other as the dead encroach. A gripping terror-filled monochromatic play that brings all the fright of the cult classic to life. This blend of thrilling horror laced with touches of black humor envelops the audience in the action and unfolds into a shocking theatrical ending. "There are a lot of characterization possibilities in this piece. We got to work on the dynamics of fear, terror and the human responses they elicit. The zombies loved playing out evil." (Krista Klander-man, Menasha High School, Menasha, WI.)
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code N52000
- Cast Size 17
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583421536
- "Wild and crazy, huge audience appeal, a hit with students."
- Review by Joanna Goff, Edmonds Community College, Lynnwood, Wash.
- "... My advanced theatre students loved becoming frantic, hysterical beings trapped in a house. They had a blast working with horror makeup/fake blood ... There are a lot of characterization possibilities in this piece. We got to work on the dynamics of fear, terror and the human responses they elicit. The zombies loved playing out evil."
- Review by Krista Klanderman, Menasha High School, Menasha, Wis.
- "Of all the plays I've directed at Eastern, this has been my favorite. This adaptation was true to the original film. The challenge of making every aspect of the show black and white was worth it. The audience was both pleased and scared."
- Review by Thomas Drago, Eastern Alamance High School, Mebane, N.C.
- "Night of the Living Dead was a fun and challenging play to produce. We selected an artistic approach rather than pure horror. The audience reacted positively. Students loved acting in this one."
- Review by Jennifer Henselin, Oshkosh North High School, Oshkosh, Wis.
- "This script was the perfect Halloween horror. The title alone put exciting fear in the teens who auditioned, and the gut-wrenching plot had audiences screaming for more!"
- Review by Karin Richey, Palo Alto Children's Theatre, Palo Alto, Calif.
- "It is written in a style that lends itself to camp. We had a great time learning about camp and playing up all of the "moments" inherent in the script. The make-up for the zombies was a challenge for my make-up artist, which she enjoyed. This is a fun show for high school students. It brings new people to theatre due to its appeal to zombie lovers!"
- Review by Rebecca Sartor, Rutland High School, Rutland, Vt.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Make sure you have enough hairspray. We had to run out the day of our second performance to stock up."
- Tip by Thomas Drago, Eastern Alamance High School, Mebane, N.C.
Media Reviews"Night of the Living Dead is to modern horror what Ibsen's A Doll's House is to the modern theatre." -Erie Times
"A terror-ific triumph." -Meadville Tribune
|Fort Smith Little Theatre||Fort Smith||Arkansas||9/20/2018||9/29/2018|
|Allen's Community Theatre||Allen||Texas||7/4/2019||7/21/2019|
|Fred B. Cranford Ampitheatre||Valdese||North Carolina||10/12/2018||10/21/2018|
|North Salinas High School||Salinas||California||10/19/2018||10/31/2018|
|Marshall Theatre in Kenneth W. Ford Hall||McMinnville||Oregon||9/20/2018||9/22/2018|
|Children's Center for the Arts||Oklahoma City||Oklahoma||10/19/2018||10/27/2018|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).