Prize-winning playwright Tim Kelly, a lifelong Dickens buff who is also the adaptor of the hit comedy M*A*S*H, has created a superb dramatization of this classic that is easy to produce. Here is the essence of Dickens' most theatrical novel, a parade of colorful characters: wicked Uncle Ralph; stylish Madame Mantalini; "decayed" Arthur Gride; pitiable orphan Smike; the winsome Cherryble brothers; lovely Madelaine Bray; scheming Lady Hawk; and the amazing Crummles with their seedy theatre troupe. Standing above all the villains is the infamous Wackford Squeers who, with his horrible wife and daughter, runs his dreadful school with his cane and tablespoons of foul-tasting medicine. A delightful blend of comedy, mystery and melodrama written for easy production.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code N27000
- Cast Size 30
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Drama | Melodrama
- ISBN(13) 9780871294166
- "A wonderful treatment of a classic! Very appropriate for middle school students -- thought out yet flexible."
- Review by Neil Ginsberg, Brooklyn Friends School, Brooklyn, NY
- "Very well written and easy to stage. Our age range is 8-18 yrs and it is difficult to find plays that they can perform that aren't either too juvenile or too old. Yours is the best selection."
- Review by Colin Scears, Niagara Falls School of Drama, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
- "This is a fantastic and fun play to perform. Students enjoyed the characters and accents and costumes from this time period."
- Review by Jennifer Henselin, Oshkosh High School North, Oshkosh, Wis.
|SWCHS Performing Arts Center||Chaska||Minnesota||1/18/2019||1/19/2019|